Friday, July 9, 2010

Cheyenne, WY





Tonight we have stopped in Cheyenne, Wyoming after fewer miles than yesterday's ride. A lot less rain too - this time we caught the rain in Northern Colorado and we had a chance to pull over and get ready for it. Of course, it's so dry up here that within 20 minutes everything was totally dry, but thats only because I wasn't soaked to the bone.

We started the day in Dumas around 9:20 due to me trying to finish up a project then get a file emailed out before departure.

We rode straight north on Highway 287 and it was nice to be off the interstate most of the day - the traffic is a little more predictable, a lot lighter, and it's easier to pull to the side when you look in the rear view mirror and see a couple of bungee cord hooks floating in the air with nothing hooked to them.

As far as I can tell, nothing fell off (everything is held on by at least 3 bungees) but dad lost a water bottle off his bike and I wove back and forth trying to dodge it as it spun along at 75 mph. It eventually decided to blow off to the side of the road and I kept away from it. For two hours before that as we hit bumps and gusts of wind I had been thinking about what I would do if something fell off dad's bike, so it was something I had at least planned for.

Tonight is our first night camping and all of the preparations I made paid off concerning waterproofing. Each of the bags I opened had water in it, but none of it had made it through the rubber or plastic bags I had put inside the outer bags, so everything I had was dry. The tent cot was another story, it was soaked, but because it is separated from my sleeping bag and pad by the rubber bottomed tent it is OK that it is damp, and will probably dry overnight since it's very dry here.

We're still not sure where we will be staying tomorrow night, but I am sure it will be somewhere in Montana.

The photos here are of us at the Colorado border, a view of windmills, and our campsite and my tent this evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment